We strive to make your dental experience as pleasant as possible. If you are anxious or have some questions about the procedures, please ask the dentist and she/he will answer your questions. If you have any medical information concerning your health that you think might be needed during your dental visit please do come with it. If you have any medical conditions that you think may put your health at risk during a dental procedure, please discuss them with our dentists.
If you are pregnant, or think you are pregnant please disclose this to the dentist during your dental visit.
NB: All medical information is treated with the utmost confidentiality. All our staff have been instructed in the correct ethical methods on how and when this information is to be used.
For a list of insurance providers we cater to, please click here
- Scale and polish/cleaning: This is a prophylactic procedure that we encourage everyone to do twice a year. It involves gently removing the build up of calculus ( tartar) around the teeth and polishing them so as to provide a smoother tooth surface on which food debris cannot easily stick.
- Fissure sealants: these are sealants that are placed within the deep grooves on the chewing surface of the teeth. By placing them in the grooves, the grooves become shallow and no more food particles can get stuck in them. Thus reducing the possibility of developing tooth decay.
- Fluoride treatment: This is normally given to children and it entails them biting into plastic tray filled with fluoride gel. The fluoride acts to strengthen the teeth and prevent attack by the decay causing bacteria.
Root canal therapy: This kind of treatment is performed when there is damage to the nerve of the tooth. This damage could have resulted due to trauma, decay , failed initial root canal therapy or infection from the gingiva (gum) surrounding the tooth (perio-endo Lesion) etc. During this procedure, the nerve and associated blood vessels are removed and the tooth is restored.
NB: In order to increase the lifespan of the tooth, most teeth that have undergone root canal therapy will require a crown
- Occasionally teeth are extensively damaged and cannot be saved. In those cases the tooth has to be removed. A lot care is taken not to destroy a lot of the surrounding bone just in case the patient might require implants placed later on.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: some times the third molars , wisdom teeth, do not erupt out of the mouth in a similar direction to rest of the teeth in the mouth. They face horizontally towards the neighboring tooth or sometimes away from it. This can cause discomfort and eventually pain. In these scenarios, it is advised that the wisdom teeth be removed.
Pediatric, children, Tweens : This treatment is aimed at children 0-24months, 2-8years & 9- 10years
So the moment has arrived..... You are eagerly waiting in anticipation. It's a boy/girl!!!!.
Being the ever so responsible and curious parent you wonder..... At what age should I bring in my child for their first dental appointment.
The answer is simple... When the first tooth comes out. If that's hard to remember, try this " first visit by first birthday"
The first visit helps the child get acquainted with the dental office and dentists. We can also answer any if your concerns regarding the tooth eruption pattern and schedule, teething, tooth brushing technique. etc.
- Crowns: These are tooth shaped "caps" that are placed on a tooth when it is so badly broken down that an ordinary filling will not work sufficiently. To improve strength and improve aesthetics by eliminating the sometimes unsightly sight of metal, crowns are now being made in a material known as zirconium.
- Bridges: These are made to replace missing teeth and are basically a series of crowns joined together. Using the adjacent teeth of an edentulous area as support, the bridge is fabricated and carefully inserted in the mouth.
- Implants: Implants are a greatly welcomed option for those who want to replace missing teeth. An implant has an anchor made of titanium that is buried into the bone and a crown is placed on top of that. Due to the ability if titanium to bind to bone, implants feel very stable in the mouth when used for chewing. At Mawano Dental Clinic,the implants systems we use are Bicon© and Dentium©.
- Full mouth and partial dentures: With the introduction of dental implants it could be thought that dentures would be a thing of the past. Their relative in-expense however has still kept a good alternative to replacing the missing teeth. In order to increase retention and stability in the mouth clasps and rests can be placed onto the denture.
Fillings: These are placed in cavities caused by tooth decay, after the dentist has cleaned out all the decay, to prevent further progression of the cavity. They come in all forms: amalgam, composites, inlays and Onlays.
CEREC stands for CEramic REConstruction; meaning, the replacement of missing tooth structure with ceramic material. The CEREC system comprises a computer-controlled milling machine designed specifically for dentistry. A high-resolution scanner captures an image of the prepared tooth and then the chair side computer is used to design a unique restoration immediately, which is then milled and fitted at the same appointment.
Every body wants to have what they would consider a good smile, and braces help us achieve that. By placing little brackets and gently tugging at the teeth we can move teeth out an unpleasant alignment (mal-alignment) into an alignment that they can smile "ear-to-ear" about.
The basic aim of tooth whitening is to get the colour of the teeth/tooth to an acceptable lighter shade than they currently are. There are several ways to achieve this:
- Bleaching agents can be used to greatly lighten the shade and enhance the smile of the patient. We at Mawano Dental Clinic use the opalescence bleaching systems.
- Veneers: Sometimes the teeth are discolored and broken at that same time. In these instances veneers can be placed.
- Crowns: if the destruction is to a great extent that the tooth cannot support a veneer then a crown can be place.